It's been awhile, but a long time ago I wrote about my student Mark, and his love of The Kitten. Well, The Kitten had a good long run (seriously, about 18 months!), and is currently on the back burner. I have the feeling it will make the occasional comeback, but will never be the main attraction. His new love?
Obama.
Seriously.
We studied the election all October, learned about Obama and McCain, talked about the president, etc. Well, Mark took a liking to Obama immediately. I don't know if it was something he got from home, or something he developed at school, but he walked around the room every day muttering to himself about Obama and the president, and who knows what else.
He had been asking for the picture for a long time, and I told him that if Obama won the election he could have a copy.
Lucky for Mark (and me!), the picture is now his.
But, in all seriousness, I am ecstatic. Besides being from Chicago, there was always something that I really liked about Obama. I'm not one to talk about politics, read about politics, etc,. but I have to say that I followed this whole election from the early stages.
Watching Obama win felt amazing to me; it's really the first time I've ever been really invested in a candidate. I always vote, but rarely feel passionate about a particular person.
The election this year gave me hope. Hope for a brighter future. This campaign was based on hope instead of fear.
I'm glad that Obama will take the Oval Office, and I'm glad that he is there to provide hope for ALL people.
Even for stunted, growly-voiced, autistic teenagers who carry around laminated pictures of kittens.
Obama.
Seriously.
We studied the election all October, learned about Obama and McCain, talked about the president, etc. Well, Mark took a liking to Obama immediately. I don't know if it was something he got from home, or something he developed at school, but he walked around the room every day muttering to himself about Obama and the president, and who knows what else.
He had been asking for the picture for a long time, and I told him that if Obama won the election he could have a copy.
Lucky for Mark (and me!), the picture is now his.
But, in all seriousness, I am ecstatic. Besides being from Chicago, there was always something that I really liked about Obama. I'm not one to talk about politics, read about politics, etc,. but I have to say that I followed this whole election from the early stages.
Watching Obama win felt amazing to me; it's really the first time I've ever been really invested in a candidate. I always vote, but rarely feel passionate about a particular person.
The election this year gave me hope. Hope for a brighter future. This campaign was based on hope instead of fear.
I'm glad that Obama will take the Oval Office, and I'm glad that he is there to provide hope for ALL people.
Even for stunted, growly-voiced, autistic teenagers who carry around laminated pictures of kittens.


No comments:
Post a Comment