Monday, October 13, 2008

Procrastination

Procrastination makes it happen
Procrastination, working together (dig it)

That's my own take on a Sesame Street ditty from my childhood.

It's also the theme of the week.

I have this big, HUGE research paper looming over my head for grad school. It's going to take my entire semester and will be a big, stressful pain in the butt.

Now, in order to accomplish this, I have to actually do some research. (Yeah, imagine that, research!) More specifically, read and report on ten research articles related to my topic. That's due a week from Wednesday. I've had a three day weekend with no big plans (just a haunted house last night), and next weekend I am visiting my sister and the lovable twins.

So really, I should just suck it up and get most of it done this weekend, right? Right???

Wrong!

Every time I see the screen of the article review template staring at me, I immediately want to do something else, anything else. I swear, I would rather unpack my boxes that have been sitting there for 3 months that I haven't even considered unpacking. I would rather go to the gym. I would rather wash my dishes, do the laundry, sort my stash of beads into colors, just about ANYTHING other than write this paper.

It's my curse. I cannot focus on a task until I am down to the wire. It's like some kind of calendar-controlled ADD. When I am close to a due date, I have no problems focusing. I can sit and bang out a 10 page paper the day before it's due. But if I sit down three days before, it's suddenly time to file my nails.

So basically this blog just serves as another form of procrastination. Thanks guys, for being an enabler.

OK, I'm going to organize the cleaning supplies under my sink.

No comments: