Each month I am going to do a preview of the new movies and DVDs coming out that I'm excited about. I'll be posting as I watch each of them as well.
The month of August has quite a long list. One of the longest ever. Anyway, here's what's coming out in August:
August 3 - Bourne Ultimatum - I haven't seen this yet, I was out of town this weekend. I plan to see it either this week or next at the latest. I don't want to get too far behind, because that might cause me to not see some of the movies I want to see this August.
August 10 - Stardust - I don't much about this one. All I know is that it is fantasy, but that's usually good enough for me. I'll probably wait for the reviews, and then decide if I want to see it or if I will wait to Netflix it.
August 10 - Becoming Jane - I am very excited for this one! I love Jane Austen books, and thus far the film industry has done a remarkable job translating her books into movies. Emma was just alright, but everything else I've seen in the last decade has been very good. Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice are on my all-time favorite movie list! But I love me some Ang Lee and Kate Winslet anyway, so it wasn't hard for S&S.
August 10 (popular day!) - Rocket Science - I just saw the trailer for this one. It really looks great, right up my alley! I just hope I can see it during it's brief stint in the theater.
August 14 - Hamlet on DVD - FINALLY! I absolutely love this movie, and have been known to sit through the entire thing when it played on HBO (of course, that was before DVR, so I didn't really have a choice). I'm so happy that it's finally coming to DVD. I will be there the day of the release to take it home.
August 17 - High School Musical 2 (on the Disney Channel) - OK, yeah, I'm a little embarrassed about that one. I admit it, I loved the first one and own the DVD. That one will be a long-term fixture on my DVR, until the DVD comes out. I hope it's as good as the first, although with Kenny Ortega still at the helm, I'm hopeful.
August 21 - Serenity DVD, Collector's Edition - So yeah, I'm often a sucker for special features on DVDs, and when it's a movie I'm passionate about (like Lord of the Rings) I buy multiple copies of a DVD to get the most features. Well, this will be the only other movie I buy multiple copies of, other than LOTR. Anyway, Serenity is spawned from the genius mind of Joss Whedon (of Buffy fame) and the TV show Firefly that nobody watched. Serenity is a brilliant movie if you've watched the TV show. So go watch Firefly, then Serenity. It's amazing. In this modern age of technology, you can add it to your Netflix or Blockbuster queue. Seriously, you'll be hooked by episode 2.
August 24 - The Nanny Diaries - This one I'm a little dubious about. I really enjoyed the book, but the fact that the movie premiere date got pushed back a few times, and with Scarlett Johanson in it, I think I'll wait for the DVD to rent. I know, I just am not a Scarlett fan. She was great in Lost in Translation, but after that I just couldn’t get into her.
Thoughts? Anything I'm missing? Drop me a line!
The month of August has quite a long list. One of the longest ever. Anyway, here's what's coming out in August:
August 3 - Bourne Ultimatum - I haven't seen this yet, I was out of town this weekend. I plan to see it either this week or next at the latest. I don't want to get too far behind, because that might cause me to not see some of the movies I want to see this August.
August 10 - Stardust - I don't much about this one. All I know is that it is fantasy, but that's usually good enough for me. I'll probably wait for the reviews, and then decide if I want to see it or if I will wait to Netflix it.
August 10 - Becoming Jane - I am very excited for this one! I love Jane Austen books, and thus far the film industry has done a remarkable job translating her books into movies. Emma was just alright, but everything else I've seen in the last decade has been very good. Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice are on my all-time favorite movie list! But I love me some Ang Lee and Kate Winslet anyway, so it wasn't hard for S&S.
August 10 (popular day!) - Rocket Science - I just saw the trailer for this one. It really looks great, right up my alley! I just hope I can see it during it's brief stint in the theater.
August 14 - Hamlet on DVD - FINALLY! I absolutely love this movie, and have been known to sit through the entire thing when it played on HBO (of course, that was before DVR, so I didn't really have a choice). I'm so happy that it's finally coming to DVD. I will be there the day of the release to take it home.
August 17 - High School Musical 2 (on the Disney Channel) - OK, yeah, I'm a little embarrassed about that one. I admit it, I loved the first one and own the DVD. That one will be a long-term fixture on my DVR, until the DVD comes out. I hope it's as good as the first, although with Kenny Ortega still at the helm, I'm hopeful.
August 21 - Serenity DVD, Collector's Edition - So yeah, I'm often a sucker for special features on DVDs, and when it's a movie I'm passionate about (like Lord of the Rings) I buy multiple copies of a DVD to get the most features. Well, this will be the only other movie I buy multiple copies of, other than LOTR. Anyway, Serenity is spawned from the genius mind of Joss Whedon (of Buffy fame) and the TV show Firefly that nobody watched. Serenity is a brilliant movie if you've watched the TV show. So go watch Firefly, then Serenity. It's amazing. In this modern age of technology, you can add it to your Netflix or Blockbuster queue. Seriously, you'll be hooked by episode 2.
August 24 - The Nanny Diaries - This one I'm a little dubious about. I really enjoyed the book, but the fact that the movie premiere date got pushed back a few times, and with Scarlett Johanson in it, I think I'll wait for the DVD to rent. I know, I just am not a Scarlett fan. She was great in Lost in Translation, but after that I just couldn’t get into her.
Thoughts? Anything I'm missing? Drop me a line!

No comments:
Post a Comment